My Music Man has been released by Bedazzled Ink Press!
My Music Man illustrates the power of storytelling through narratives of seven generations of family living near Oregon’s Willamette River. As Dede Montgomery moves through grief to accept the death of her father, stories shed light on change, acceptance, and forgiveness among people and the land around them. Historical family characters include early Oregon Territory residents Chloe Clarke & William Willson, book seller J.K. Gill and his steamboat engineer brother Sam Gill, and author Richard G. Montgomery, Sr. The book settings include Nisqually, Willamette Falls, Wilsonville, West Linn, Salem, Champoeg, Portland, LaGrande, and the Long Beach Peninsula.
Real places you can buy it:
- Another Read Through, North Portland
- Barnes & Noble, Clackamas Town Center, Clackamas
- Powell’s (Section: Pacific NW), Downtown Portland
- Auntie’s Bookstore, Spokane, WA
- If you can’t find it locally, you can order it and the e-book directly from the publisher, Bedazzled Ink Press and on Amazon.
Book Clubs: Might your book club be interested in selecting this book this fall or winter? Learn more.
In the News:
- Pamplin Media Group – Generations get special considerations
- Pamplin Media Group – West Linn’s Dede Montgomery pens memoir on family roots
- Bedazzled Ink Press – Books for Everyone…..With a Twist
- Interview by Siobhan Taylor, Executive Director, Willamette Falls Heritage Area Coalition – Interview with Dede Montgomery regarding her new book – My Music Man
- Video recording by MAC TVCTV on YouTube: Dede Montgomery presenting book reading of My Music Man at West Linn Public Library
- “This book is to be savored. It’s an intimate and heartfelt tribute to a father, to a family, and to a magical childhood on the banks of the Willamette River. Yet it’s much more than a memoir – it’s a multi-generational story, lovingly told, of a family deeply tied to Oregon’s history” — Amazon reader
- “This author has captured the essence of our generation. The stories I’ve told my children about my youth and growing up during the same time frame, speak to my own memories of this simpler time….” —Amazon reader
- “This is a beautiful memoir that covers much important Northwest history and a poignant personal story. I highly recommend it!” —Reader
- “It made me cry so much about losing my dad (same year as yours — 2014) but it also made me smile. And I learned a lot about OR history and the Willamette. Great read!”—-Reader
- “I didn’t want the book to end!” —Reader
- “The love of the river sings through her writing. ” –Siobhan Taylor, Willamette Falls Heritage interview
- .”..The lyrical description of a seemingly idyllic life growing up on the banks of the Willamette will make you fall in love with Oregon all over again. The author weaves a rich tapestry of multigenerational historical vignettes with her memories of a childhood surrounded by brothers, the river and a father who drinks too much. Scattered throughout are photographs that add enormously to the text, bringing her ancestors to life and enhancing your reading experience. Summer suggestion for you – find your way down to a quiet spot on the river, dip your toes in the Willamette and read this book. You will be transported back in time and to fascinating place.” —Amazon reader